Friday, February 18, 2011

Magikally Frustrating.

I haven't really played games much in the past year or more. At least, not unless at an event specifically for playing games. Recently, though, (i.e. within the past two days) I have been tinkering with a gem called Magika, which is a humorous game that allows players to combine eight different spell types in any combination to create new spells. There are also specific combinations that the player can discover which do specific things. All in all, very fun... except...

I tried playing today, but it seems I have gotten to the "difficult" part. By difficult I don't actually mean difficult. I mean randomly impossible. Like getting pushed off cliffs in certain parts where there's nothing you can do to prevent it, you just have to hope it randomly doesn't happen. This is exacerbated by the game designers' increasing penchant for turning levels into long and complex series' of intricate chains of actions which, if not performed perfectly, will leave the player dead. Long chains. As in, if you fail at any given point you have to start over from the very beginning. I fiddled with it for about an hour until now. I have given up in disgust. It used to be fun. Now it's just annoying.

Oh well, perhaps it is better this way. It's not like I don't have a ton of other stuff that actually needs to be accomplished.

Frowny face anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment