Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Entertainment Cabinet

A little while ago the Blyckers, in their typical generosity, passed on a knee-high buffet to us which I have been planning to turn into an entertainment cabinet. It's one of the many projects I have been working on steadily during this period of unemployment and I thought I would share some pictures of it.

I didn't think to take any pictures before I started in on the project, so by the time I snapped this I had removed most of the hardware and begun scraping at the paint with a 5-way.

For the most part, the white paint peeled off easily, but the pink stuff under it was a little tougher. Under the pink was a layer of dark green, then the wood. I had consulted with my dad about the possibility of using a paint remover for this project, but he suggested it would cost more than it was worth by the time we succeeded at getting all the paint off. So, I resolved to scrape what I could, then sand it smooth and paint over whatever remained.

Both the white and pink layers came off the top easily, though the dark green hung on.

After sanding, though, almost all of the paint is completely removed. I was happily surprised by this. The surface of the buffet is actually somewhat uneven (wavy) but with a lot of hard work and determination, I sanded the paint away.

The drawers were another project. Three of them are wavy drawers and the other two are straight. The wavy ones were harder to scrape.

Again, after a lot of love and hard work, I was able to scrape and sand all of the paint off the drawers, making them completely ready to be repainted.

The whole process left an enormous mess in the garage. My project for tomorrow: clean and sweep so there's no chips and dust floating about, then begin the painting process. Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment