Thursday, January 27, 2011

More Distractions

Well, the entertainment cabinet has been set aside once again. It is waiting in the garage like the book cover is waiting in the basement, like my research project is waiting on my computer, like the Jarvis project is waiting on my desk, like book three is waiting on my writing desk, like I am waiting on a job.

At the end of the last movie, a friend and co-worker asked me to fix his two laptops and, in a gesture of good faith, paid me up-front to do so. Paid me. Note, I didn't ask for payment because 99.999% of the people looking for my computer expertise (such as it is) are hoping to get it for free - so much so that I long ago stopped imagining I might actually get any sort of payment for granting help. But, he paid me anyway. I told him that I didn't know what I would be able to do with the laptops and I couldn't guarantee anything. He told me not to worry about it, he trusted I would do my best and he was happy to pay me for my work regardless.

Amazing. Hey, everybody: you can learn from this fine gentleman's example.

Anyway, I did a lot of work up-front on the project and got one of the laptops up and running again, but the other laptop has proven to be more... difficult. It ended up becoming a project that was waiting (in the nerdery) for an indefinite amount of other projects to be completed. Well, kind sir called yesterday to ask if he could come pick up the laptops. No pressure. No deadline. He hasn't even bothered me once since the middle of December. I told him he could come by tomorrow to get them. How could I say no?

So... here I am, working on the other computer. Trying to get it up and running again before he comes for a visit tomorrow. And everything else will just have to wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment