Friday, January 15, 2010

Google Sheesh


I will have to say, it being quarter after three in the morning with more than plenty to be done tomorrow which I need to be awake for that Google SketchUp is pretty stinking awesome. Matt Merrill turned me on to the program, saying it was super easy to use and he was absolutely right. I took it for a spin and modeled the desk I am building for Esther and myself right this very minute in our garage.

Yes, I spent hours with the program... fiddling. But the actual modeling of the desks only took a few minutes. The program is extraordinarily easy to learn and easy to use. It's not terribly easy to get things in exactly the right spot all the time (several pieces are a few sixteenths of an inch off) but... no matter. It's not like I am taking this to a C&C or something. I am just excited to get an idea of what it will look like when it is all finished. Oh, and the program has already helped me to make some solid alterations to my original design which will make it look and function much better.

In fact, if I had known about/used Google SketchUp before I started this project I could have saved a little money in materials as well, since I would have known I didn't need nearly as many 2x4s as I purchased. No matter, I can always find a use for 2x4s.

No comments:

Post a Comment