Friday, March 2, 2012

Reading

I am not very good at healthy preoccupation. I seem only to practice obsessive immersion or indifference. I thought perhaps with all of the things going on in life right now I would be able to handle taking on another interesting story. I was even encouraged in this thinking by my relative indifference to the Castle book series (which is enjoyable, but not amazing). I took on the Hunger Games trilogy when offered it by my friend and have since discovered that my old self still prevails.

I stopped reading some time ago when I became more serious about pursuing my own story. I did this for a variety of reasons, the most important of which being my desire not to find any of my ideas in someone else's work but to generate them of my own accord. Another reason that I don't talk about much is that I didn't want to become distracted with someone else's story.

I have become distracted.

I cannot even begin to think about my story at the moment until I finish this group of books, which irritates me and gives an unnatural sense of urgency to the stories. Not that they don't have their own sense of urgency. They are very engaging, which is the heart of the problem.

I wish I could be more indifferent sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment