Monday, January 31, 2011

Some Quick Math

I am not going to preface this with any sort of explanation because I don't want to potentially seem ungrateful or unwilling to work. I am just going to put some facts on the table.

I work for NxNW for $15/hr. as a van driver. My average day is 14 hours long. So, I will simplify the math on that and say that I never earn double or triple time (which is not true) meaning my average day is worth $255. Last year I worked four movies for an average of 25 days per movie (actually more overall, but I am lowballing to make a point). So that's 100 days. So, in 100 days (4 months) I earned about $25,500 before taxes last year (actually I earned more, but you get the idea). So, to rephrase, I worked 4 months out of the year and took 8 months off (to write), earning $25,500 for the whole year.

Now, let's take a random job, earning $8.92/hr. If I work that job for 40 hours a week (standard job hours) and work all 52 weeks out of the year, I would earn $18,553.60 before taxes. So, that's $7,000 LESS for the year for working THE ENTIRE YEAR with no breaks, vacations or time off.

So, you can see how this is a hard sell for me. I can't really justify it. Sure, I am working all the time and that looks impressive on paper. Look at Aaron, he's always working. But, I am also a retard because I could be earning more money working 1/3 of the time.

I didn't point this out to be mean or to say I would not work a $9/hr. job. I pointed it out to say that prioritizing my job with NxNW above pretty much anything else available is not stupid or irresponsible. It's smart (and Esther agrees with me).

No comments:

Post a Comment