Friday, April 3, 2020

Why Not Google?

Home security. It was the realm of rich people when I was growing up and now it is so commonly available that people are actually spending time deliberating over the wisdom of having a camera connected to the internet which watches every corner of their house all day long. I don't have the tools to answer that conundrum. It's a deep discussion.

I do, however, have a desire to monitor the entrances and common areas of our home. For safety reasons. So I guess I fall on the foolish, self-monitoring side of the equation. The bigger question for me is how to accomplish the goal. We've tried a few solutions over the years and many are rather expensive.

I wanted to take a moment out of my day to simply state that it is possible to have robust monitoring in-home, covering three areas with HD/nightvision and a week's worth of history for less than $100. That's less than the cost of a single Nest camera and the solution we are using doesn't require a subscription to reap its benefits. So what are we using? Well, oddly, this is where I draw the privacy line. I can say we are NOT using Nest - because of the prohibitive and constant cost of it. But for those who want to know what we ARE using, you'll have to ask me in person. That, or work at Amazon I guess. I suppose you could just search my purchase history in that case.

No comments:

Post a Comment