Monday, April 6, 2020

Updateme On The State Of Rift

Alright, we are deep in the coronavirus quarantine and overloaded with time because everyone is staying at home all day long. So, is the second playtest module ready to be mailed out? Sadly, no.

I have run out of poster board. So, unfortunately, I won't even be able to work on the second module until I am able to head out to the store to purchase a few more sheets of poster board. I made my module out of black backing. So, Shon, if you'd like a different color backing for your lanes, let me know and I will see what I can do when the shelter in place order is lifted and the stores re-open. No guarantees, of course. I know for a fact that they have black poster board for a good price which is the ideal weight and thickness for the project, but I cannot say whether there is any in a different color. I can certainly check, though.

This is a bit of a bummer, to be honest, because I honestly do have plenty of time to knock this project out. Yet, I have not been able to do so. I wish I had the foresight to grab the poster board when this was all starting, but I lacked that (and the money to be honest).

Building the lanes is a bit time-intensive. I looked into some alternatives, but based on my research, the cost goes up steeply and I just can't justify it at this point. If I were manufacturing this game for sale I think the other alternatives might begin to make sense - manufacturing things in bulk through automated services instead of hand-crafting them at home. I am not at that point.

The thing with Rift is that it is a lane limited concept. The lanes are integral to the identity of the game. Manufacture would be cheaper and easier without the lanes involved, but the game just doesn't make sense in that context. So, my apologies for the further extended deadline for this project. I guess Thanksgiving of last year was extremely optimistic as was Christmas (though to be fair I had all the cards finished by Christmas).

Am I still sending a copy to Shon? ABSOLUTELY. I wish I had the ability to have sent it out already. I don't, so it is going to have to wait awhile longer. I do feel terrible about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment