Wednesday, January 12, 2022

2022 Chromebooks 02

My initial reintroduction (it's been over 6 months) to the world of Chromebooks was perhaps a little disappointing. I made a lot out of my inescapable longing to move back to a Chromebook as my primary computer in my last missive, but in actual practice the time away had stolen some of the glimmer I expected to experience. 

First, I was unable to connect to my Citrix desktop, so the Chromebook was immediately out as a machine available for work. This was disconcerting, as its ability to supplement my desktop for this task was one of the more attractive benefits. I wouldn't be lost without it, certainly, as my workplace has already provided quite a powerful laptop to meet this need. I could absolutely take that laptop out and about as needed to work away from my desktop. I would imagine my workplace would prefer I take this approach. However, the work laptop is a bit unwieldly and it is actively monitored by my employer. As much as I am sure it isn't a big deal, I wouldn't want to browse Amazon or write a blog post while logged in on my work laptop. I'd only want to enter bills, which is my job. In that regard it is perhaps even healthier for me to use my work laptop for work. But I am selfish person. I like my freedom, even if I don't actually intend to use it.

Then, the Android game I've been fiddling with wasn't authorized to run on Chromebooks. Phones only. Which is dumb and totally not my Chromebook's fault. Even so, it was a disappointment. And it made me sad.

Then, all the Android games on every device I own went ahead and installed themselves on my Chromebook. I had to uninstall them all. And then they were all uninstalled from all my other Android devices. I mean... I like the automatic synchronization, but the implementation is a little awkward in this context. I don't actually know how to separate specific devices from what appears to be the communal install pool. I should probably figure this out.

Finally, I was thinking all the extra power under the hood would make for a more fluid and precise drawing experience that what has been afforded by my Chromebook Duet. It does. However, the screen is a bit tackier than the glossy coat on the Duet. This is actually nice when using the Chromebook as ... a Chromebook. But the stickiness isn't super pleasant when using a pen. And then, also (and perhaps super obviously), the Chromebook is a good deal heavier than the Duet. It's not pleasant to write on unless it is sitting on a tabletop. The Duet, on the other hand is light and easy to handle. 

So, with such an array of disappointments, perhaps I should be filled with regret. I am not. But maybe I should.

No comments:

Post a Comment